The reason I write / is to make something / as beautiful as you are. / When I’m with you / I want to be the kind of hero / I wanted to be / when I was seven years old /
a perfect man / who kills.
“The Reason I Write”, Leonard Cohen
She sits with / tears on / her cheek / her cheek on / her hand / the child / in her lap / his nose /
pressed / to the glass.
“Young Woman At A Window”, William Carlos Williams
Ten Things I Did In 2006…
01) I Quit smoking on January 21st, 2006, after 18-years of mostly Player’s Light Regular. I used the patch for four weeks, then willpower since then. I still feel a need for one.
02) Stopped biting my nails… who knew they were so useful when they’re allowed to grow?
03) Started speaking to people for the first time in four years… who knew they could be so useful?
04) Started walking outside again… I actually turned a browner shade of pale for the first time in a couple of years.
05) Got a new computer, I thought it was time since the last one was a 14-year old 486 running Win3.1.
06) Got hooked to the Internet and cable at home, both for the first time.
07) Erased three years worth of rewrites and research for my book while moving files from my old computer to the new one… (see number five). This was in August? Sounds right…
08) Grew a real beard for the first time… although this was done because I was so depressed my heart physically heart and I was unable to move for a couple of months (see number seven).
09) Started three blogs in an attempt to show whether I could still write… or wanted to anymore… two of them are still around. (Salted Since November 11)
10) Shaved my beard because I could finally move again. But mostly because it was Christmas and it was kind of expected I’d show up without the beard.
Eight Things I’ve Stopped Doing So Far In 2007…
01) Started dating… kind of. And I guess this one should be “stopped not dating”.
02) Stopped dating… her anyway. Well… actually, anyone for a while. Probably for a little longer than that… she told me it was one of those “not in that way” relationships.
03) Stopped walking outside… unless I’m in need of milk or another 2L bottle of pop.
04) Stopped pretending to eat healthy, back up to 2L/day of pop again…
05) Stopped talking to people. Unless absolutely forced to.
06) Stopped answering my phone. Unless it’s late and my defences are down.
07) Stopped shaving, so I have another beard. Yay. I’m using the excuse that it’s a “Playoff Beard”, but you should probably go back and read number two. Actually… it’s probably 65 percent a Playoff Beard.
08) Started posting on Salted Lithium again. But I guess this one should really be “stopped not posting on Salted Lithium”… because I’m not sane yet (this has a little bit to do with 2007 number two, a lot more to do with 2006 number seven, and a really, really lot to do with a couple of emails I’ve received lately… which I’ll get to later).
Last Spring I Found out that while I’m on “Permanent Disability” there’s nothing the credit agency can do to force me to pay anything, so I am now free and clear to laugh at their feeble attempts to harass me.
I found out three weeks ago that I’m not sane yet (please see 2007, number eight).
Two weekends ago I moved twelve tonnes of stone and found out that I can lift, and walk with, more than 300lbs at a time. Something, apparently, I’ve done several times in the past without realizing it… weird.
A Ten-Year Old With A Gun…
I have no idea who the kid with the gun is… but I’d listen to what his thought balloon says, he looks fucking crazy.