My son can walk

copyright banner salted lithium photo header

spacer

My son can walk, and he’s pretty good, so it must must come from his mom, because I’ve got about three different limps.

It’s incredible to watch as he confidently throws a leg out, his thigh parallel to the ground like he was marching, then his leg shakes a little on the way down and finally he quickly stomps on the ground.

Walking makes him happy, and he’s already started to play the “get away from his parents” game. Thankfully, for the moment, he can only walk for so long.

He has taken short steps before, just about a month ago he taught himself how to appear to be walking while actually falling to the floor with less urgency than normal.

Then, on Friday, April 22, my girlfriend brought him into my apartment and said “watch this”, and she stood our sixteen month-old son up, and he took off for my kitchen chair. He walked five feet, then turned around and laughed at us.

We spent the rest of the weekend trying to get him to do it for the camera, but that didn’t work.

We finally managed to capture the moment a couple of days later. So… here you go:

spacer

...thanks.

This entry was posted in Clinical Depression, crazy people with no pants, Father, Health, Living With Depression, Living With Manic Depression, Manic Depression, Mental Health and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to My son can walk

1. Karen says:

Aww he’s adorable! I love how he keeps trying to push the green thing. He looks so confident!

• Gabriel... says:

…it’s pretty rare for him to back away from something. He can be tentative, like when I offer him a new food or way of eating a food, but he always gives it a shot. And I can remember only a couple of people he didn’t want to be picked up by. He just seems to get a kick out of everything around him.

And he is [allcaps] definitely [/allcaps] adorable.

Thanks for the comment Karen, it’s great to see you again.

2. Melanie says:

SO adorable!!!! I can’t remember what Sam’s motivator was (bad mommy), too long ago I guess. But for Jess it was a bright orange piece of paper. From then on it was just trouble.
    He’s precious, enjoy him!
    🙂

• Gabriel... says:

If you’re around for the big art show… or anytime you want to come for a visit, I’ll make sure he’s wearing his Sunday-best diaper.

• Melanie says:

When is the art show? Not sure if I’d be able to visit just yet. Lots of crap on the home front with the girl’s father but would love to see you and meet little V. Keep in touch! 🙂

GIANT FREAKING AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! (also-you’re soooooo in trouble now!)

• Gabriel... says:

Hi Thordora… people keep saying that, and then they laugh for ten minutes. At first I’m worried, but then I figure they’re laughing so things can’t be bad… right?

He’s already crying when we pick him up, because he just wants to motor along on two feet. And he already has some speed capabilities as well. He can jog along for a few steps, fall, bounce right back up and keep going. I think forever.

Someone asked me today if I plan on getting him a harness and a leash… I’ve always said “no way is my kid… blah blah”, but now I’m not so sure.

• thordora says:

Let him walk. Those leash things creep me out, and kids are quick learners when there’s blood involved. :p I’m a little more “you’ll bounce” about that sorta thing tho.

You go from being really bored and tired of picking him up to being REALLY freaking paranoid and tired of walking super.freaking.slowly. with him. You will miss the stroller.

Oh yes you will!

4. Happy Papa G!
    Toddler-proof the whole apartment!